Tuesday 28 March 2017

Focus On Daria Shapovalova







Still under 30 Daria has an impressive list of achievements to her name, her CV would be the envy of someone twice her age. Starting with reporting fashion on TV at 19 Daria went on to become a founder of  Mercedes Benz Kiev Fashion Days. She tireless works to promote and champion the fashion industry in Ukraine and the work of young fashion designers from the region. Daria very cleverly had (and still has) a very visible presence during the big four fashion month attending shows and wearing the designs of the fashion designers she has under her wing. Initially this clever but simple tactic gave the designers a presence on the international stage through street style galleries. However it takes a lot more that just walking around in front of street style photographers to grow your business and with degrees in both marketing and PR Daria  also co-found the More Dash Showroom based in Paris which promotes further the work of the designers to the international press and buyers. What does the future hold? Lets see.

Dv: Daria, you have come a long way since starting your blog Daria’s Diaries, working in TV, launching MBFW Kiev and this year becoming one of Forbes 30 under 30. All in ten years, it is a truly amazing achievement. May I dare ask where you see yourself in the next five years?

DS: 5 years, seems like an entirely new life away with the new pace we experience. I have some aims I am sure I will achieve in the next 5 years, and I think I am just at the beginning of my story. I am my biggest critique and I understand now what I want to change in my life and my work. I certainly will continue to work in fashion, but I might add some special projects in a nearest future. You will be one of the first to know! 

Dv: Can you describe to us what a typical day for you involves? If indeed there is such a thing for you.

DS: Each day is planned beforehand. I use Google calendar a lot, I write down all of my meetings. I try not to work without a plan, as I hate spending time in vain. I know I still need to improve my planning technique though;) my usual day involves some sport (I love it!), time spent with my son David, couple of hours with my teams (I have several projects, so a couple of meetings each day are necessary to ensure that business is working properly). I also try to read every day, at least for 10-15 minutes, no matter how tired I am.

Dv: What would you say is the most important advice you would give to an up and coming designer?

DS: I will quote Estée Lauder: "I never dreamed of success, I worked for it!" I think every designer, especially a young one, should work hard. That's a biggest secret! 

Dv: What is your favourite part of your job?

DS: The fact that I meet lots of different, amazing people from whom I can learn how to be better.

Dv: Who or what inspires you?

DS: Definitely my son, my friends and my trips to different countries. The eye has to travel, as Diane Vreeland used to say!!

Dv: Describe your own personal style.

DS: I love fashionable pieces like Jacquemus runway looks, but I am also a great fan of classic looks like a Alaia dress. I love to mix high and low, young designers and established houses in my looks. I would say that my style is "fashion with a dash of quirkiness"!

Dv: How do you relax?

DS: For me best day of relax is full of sport, reading and time spent outside! I love nature and it gives me so much power.

And Finally 

Dv: Tell me something surprising about yourself.

DS: In my childhood I wanted to be a paleontologist. 

Daria is wearing
In shots 1, 2 and 5 Litkovskaya

In shot 3 Chakshyn

In shot 6 Jacquemus jacket with JW Anderson bag.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...